Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 38 (7/9/11)

Today I went to the birthday party of Ivan (Lina’s nephew) and met more of Lina’s family. We also taught another jovenes class in Huehuetoca and a basketball class in Las Aguilas.
Recently I’ve been having some issues with using the restroom that I’ve tried to fix by eating more fiber. If you look below you’ll be able to see what I ate with my breakfast at the Carpenter’s house before we left for our basketball class. We arrived a little late to our class this morning (as is usual) and started off with a group stretch session. After that and some drills we played another full court game and then ended the class. Following all this I finally was able to use the restroom which was nice (funny how this is the opposite problem from what I had when I first got here).
After we left Las Aguilas it was a smooth trip up to Huehuetoca. For some reason though, the bus was extremely packed on the way up the highway. We were travelling around 2pm, which is not a high traffic time, but there were a lot of travelers on the bus. When I say extremely packed I mean they cram as many people as possible on the bus and we had to stand up the whole trip. Eventually we got to Huehuetoca though and soon were back in our homes.
In a short while we were back at the mission house and getting ready for our class with the jovenes. For some reason only one joven showed up today, but we still had fun anyway. Today we taught about Moses in Exodus 2 and how he killed an Egyptian man that was hitting the Hebrew slaves. Pharaoh found out about this and tried to kill Moses, and we tied this in with how we sin many times and try to hide what we did. In many cases though, others know what we did and we talked about how we obtain forgiveness for our sins.
Following this class I went back to my place where I met Lina’s brother and his wife. We talked for a little while and then went over to Lulu’s house for Ivan’s party. We were kind of early so we talked with Lulu and Giovanni and they served me a light dinner. Once the party started more of Ivan’s family came in and eventually we were served arroz con leche (rice with milk) which is a warm tasty drink with rice, sugar, and milk. After a while they cut the cake (which was really good) and then we decided to go out for tacos.
The tacos we ate were near the stand where we bought the chicken al carbon a few Sundays ago. I had tacos de pastor and tacos de suadero which were both pretty good. I also ate one taco of tripa (intestines) which wasn’t that great. While we were eating I got to know Alejandro (Ruben’s older brother) who is a college student at a local tech school in Izcalli. It was nice to talk with someone my age and we talked about the differences in businesses in the States and Mexico. He told me his full name so that I could look him up on Facebook, but I still haven’t been able to find him. I’ll talk with him soon to see if I’m spelling it wrong.
After we ate we went back to the house and I was glad to enjoy yet another Mexican birthday fiesta for the second day in a row. My life is going to be really boring once I get back to the States!

No comments:

Post a Comment