Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day 39 (7/10/11)

Today we went with Juan and his family into central Huehuetoca, which is about a 20 minute drive from Urbi. Once we got there they went on a shopping spree for us and bought us all sorts of random foods from street vendors. The highlight of today is that I tried tacos de cabeza (head or in this case brain of the cow) and tacos de ojos (eyes of the cow) while out on the town. I also taught the jovenes class again and this time I had more time to prepare than last time.
I woke up today and went outside to help with setup of the church tent. Setup went well and after everything was ready we waited for more people to come. The Hancocks still aren’t back from vacation so today we were in charge of the church service yet again. Today we had a relatively large crowd show up and I think the worship time went well. Following worship I went up with the jovenes and began my lesson on Exodus 2. In the middle of this chapter, Moses finds an Egyptian beating a Hebrew up and kills him. Moses hides the body, but Pharaoh finds out and tries to kill him. Moses then fleas from Pharaoh and finds himself in the land of Midian. I connected this with how we try to hide our sins a lot of times but eventually someone finds out and we run from our sins. I then told them how we can have our sins forgiven and that God is the only one who can completely wipe away our sins.
After the lesson and church ended, we played a game of basketball with the men of the church. From there I went back to Lina’s place and after a while Andrew came over. From Lina’s, Andrew and I went up to Tonya’s tienda and talked for a while with Tonya, her son Alejandro, and her husband Ruben. We told Ruben that we were going to D.F. on Tuesday and he gave us his number in case any problems happened (he’s a police officer in the city). After we were done talking we walked back down the road to see if we could visit Juan and Nancy and ask them about advertising for our upcoming VBS. To our surprise, they showed up a few minutes after we had walked in front of their road and told us to jump in.
I had no idea what they were planning on doing so I said, “We’re going to border?” and they laughed and said yes. Eventually I figured out we were going to Huehuetoca, but they still didn’t tell us what we were going to be doing there. After about 15 minutes of driving, we arrived in a taco joint down the road from the center of Huehuetoca. Here I decided it would be a good idea to try out tacos de cabeza and tacos de ojos. These were both pretty much flavorless and squishy. The eyes didn’t look like eyes, but they were a little sticky and I don’t think they agreed with my stomach very well. Following our first stop here we set off on the road again for another adventure in Huehuetoca.
Juan parked the car on the side of the road and we all got out to walk up and down the sidewalk. Street vendors lined the sidewalk and were constantly trying to sell their foods. Juan was buying whatever we wanted for us so I said I would like to try some flan. I don’t like flan in the US so I didn’t expect to like it here, and not surprisingly I didn’t. I handed the flan over to Andrew after about 5 bites and asked him to finish it off for me. Later we walked into the zocalo and were able to see the main government and church buildings. Before we left the center of town, we met a vendor who gave us a free sample of etole, which is corn on the cob on a stick covered with mayonnaise, cheese, salt and chili pepper. I tried this as well and it was quite gross. Following all of this we drove up the road a ways and found a place on the side of the road that sold gorditas. Andrew wanted one so Juan bought him a gordita and then we returned back to Urbi.
I feel very loved by Juan and his family after tonight. They went out of their way to show us their town and treat us to their favorite foods. The people here are like that, and that’s one thing I really appreciate about Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment